Our School History
Immaculate Conception School opened its doors on September 12th, 1938. At that time, it accommodated 235 pupils in grades one to five. From the outset, ICS has been staffed by the Congregation of Saint Joseph of
Brentwood. Sister Mary Osmund was the first principal.
In October 1949, the enlargement of the building began. This included the cafeteria and auditorium. The present dedicated faculty of religious sisters and lay men and women holds masters and bachelors degress in the fields of education and other disciplines.
Ms. Dorothea Y. Breen is the current principal.
As an integral part of Immaculate Conception Parish, which is staffed by the Passionist Congregation of priests, the school is a local landmark in the Jamaica Estates area. Presently, ICS serves 500 students from pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. ICS is justly proud of its graduates, many of whom have become professionals and leaders in this and other communities.
As we moved into the 1960s, our parish church was undergoing a massive renovation. The long awaited
construction of the upper church began. It was dedicated on September 22, 1962 by Bishop McEntegart.
The church is designed in the Romanesque style to accommodate 1,350 persons in the nave.
A photo of the front of the church is below (it must be visited, however, to appreciate its
marvelous architectural beauty)
Through the efforts of Mr. Carl Ballenas and the Aquinas Honor Society, there is much more information on the parish history as well as the beautiful stained glass windows inside. There are 35 windows – each 17 feet by 3 feet – designed by Albin Elskus of the Durhan Studio. The front windows of the Church (near the main doorway) tell the story of the Immaculate Conception in the 3 window panels. The Epistle side of the Church contains 16
windows that portray the mysteries of the Rosary. The 16 windows on the Gospel side represent the Church and the work of the Church. The Sacraments and gifts of the Holy Spirit are also depicted.